By Susan Schreibman, Ray Siemens, Visit Amazon's John Unsworth Page, search results, Learn about Author Central, John Unsworth,
This Companion offers an intensive, concise evaluate of the rising box of humanities computing.
- Contains 37 unique articles written by way of leaders within the box.
- Addresses the important issues shared through these attracted to the topic.
- Major sections specialize in the event of specific disciplines in employing computational easy methods to learn difficulties; the fundamental rules of humanities computing; particular functions and techniques; and construction, dissemination and archiving.
- Accompanied by means of an internet site that includes supplementary fabrics, regular readings within the box and essays to be incorporated in destiny versions of the spouse.
Read or Download A Companion to Digital Humanities PDF
Similar methodology books
This is often the second one of a quantity selection of seminal papers within the statistical sciences written up to now a hundred years. those papers have each one had a good impact at the improvement of statistical thought and perform during the last century. each one paper is preceded by means of an creation written by way of an expert within the box delivering history info and assessing its impression.
It feels like a paradox: How do you interact in autoethnography collaboratively? Heewon Chang, religion Ngunjiri, and Kathy-Ann Hernandez holiday new flooring in this blossoming new array of study versions, jointly classified Collaborative Autoethnography. Their publication serves as a pragmatic advisor through supplying you with various info assortment, analytic, and writing options to behavior collaborative tasks.
Whereas ethical philosophy has generally been understood as an exam of the great lifestyles, this booklet argues that moral inquiry should still, fairly, commence from an exam of evil and different 'negative' ethical suggestions, reminiscent of guilt and agony.
- Doing Qualitative Research: A Comprehensive Guide
- Counterfactuals and Causal Inference: Methods and Principles for Social Research (Analytical Methods for Social Research)
- Decision Cases for Advanced Social Work Practice: Confronting Complexity
- Nuevos métodos en ciencias humanas
- Group Work Practice to Advance Social Competence: A Specialized Methodology for Social Work
Extra resources for A Companion to Digital Humanities
Accents and other non-standard characters had to be treated in a similar way and non-Roman alphabets were represented entirely in transliteration. 6 Hockey Most large-scale datasets were stored on magnetic tape, which can only be processed serially. It took about four minutes for a full-size tape to wind from one end to the other and so software was designed to minimize the amount of tape movement. Random access to data such as happens on a disk was not possible. Data had therefore to be stored in a serial fashion.
This was just at the time when editorial theorists were focusing on the text as a physical object, which they could represent by digital images. With the notable exception of work carried out by Peter Robinson (Robinson 1996, 1997, 1999) and possibly one or two others, few of these publications saw the light of day except as prototypes or small samples, and by the second half of the decade interest in this had waned somewhat. A good many imaginative ideas had been put forward, but once these reached the stage where theory had to be put into practice and projects were faced with the laborious work of entering and marking up text and developing software, attention began to turn elsewhere.
The string handling language SNOBOL was in vogue for some time as it was easier for humanities students than other computer languages, of which the major one was still Fortran. There were some developments in processing tools, mostly through the shift from tape to disk storage. Files no longer had to be searched sequentially. For a time there were various technologies for organizing material in databases, some of which were very effective for humanities material (Burnard 1987b), but gradually the relational model prevailed.
A Companion to Digital Humanities by Susan Schreibman, Ray Siemens, Visit Amazon's John Unsworth Page, search results, Learn about Author Central, John Unsworth,